Acknowledge and Release. Lessons Learned From Meditation

This morning as I was doing my semi regular morning routine.
I began my guided meditation sequence.
I sat comfortably with my back against the couch, repeated my mantra, and the roof guys were banging away outside.
I heard my husband's very loud alarm go off through the baby monitor, and I tensed up and felt frustration.
I spent the next five minutes listening for my kids to start stirring- interrupting my morning ritual.
After a few minutes, I was able to relax again and return to my meditation exercise.

One of the things that has always stood out to me about meditation, is that distractions and thoughts coming to your mind are natural.
We are to allow these natural distractions to come, acknowledge them, and then release them back into the universe.
Sounds quacky, I know.
But it's very healing for a person with anxiety, like myself.

Let me provide you with a visual.
Imagine you are starting your day off right. 
Things are going pretty good, when out of the blue, life happens.
Negative energy enter your body followed by negative thoughts.
Acknowledge the situation for what it is.
Acknowledge how you are feeling about it.
Allow it to happen.
Then, gently place that negativity into the basket of a hot air balloon, and release it into the air.
Allow it to float higher and higher, and away from you until it reaches the horizon.
Then watch it disappear beyond your line of sight.
Repeat this practice as needed throughout the day.

Life will happen.
You will have a nice long morning to yourself planned, when your husband wakes up your daughter who was up WAY too late last night.
Both your spouse and your three year old interrupt your morning ritual, and you get to spend the rest of the day with an ornery child who didn't get enough sleep.
Acknowledge the situation and accept it for what it is.
Then release whatever you do and do not have control over.
Because whatever happens, happens.
It is up to you to just let it be, and choose to move on with your day in peace.

Popular Posts