To Raise Your Kids as if Raising The Christ Child

My husband and I were laying in bed having one of our late night enlightening discussions,
when I brought up the topic of raising little children.
I mean, I'm a full time stay at home mom... these things are on my mind, you know?

Now I cant speak for older children, because my only child is three.
But I CAN speak for little children, in that I truly believe that they are as innocent and pure and perfect as the Christ Child was at that age.

I said, "Just because Christ was half God, doesn't mean he was more pure and perfect than Milani is right now."

I remember when I gave birth to this little soul.
It was as if heaven opened a window and smiled upon my home and family.
It's still smiling.
There's no other way to describe it.
I know that my home and everywhere I go with my little one, I am surrounded by heavenly spirits and angels. 
And who knows...maybe even Christ himself pays us a visit every once in a while.

There is something UNREAL about little children.
When you are in their presence you almost feel like you are in the presence of royalty.
You want to treat them with respect and reverence.
Having the opportunity of raising one of these precious little one's is nothing short of an absolute HONOR and it is SACRED.

This is not something that is on my mind every day.
I would be lying if I said that every single day I treat my child as if she were the Christ child Himself.
No.
I fail. I lose my patience. Sometimes I snap. Sometimes I need to even get away from her and get a break!
This is normal.
Raising little ones is hard.

I smiled and giggled a little bit last night when I said, "It is funny to think of little Christ learning how to share his toys."
Doesn't that thought bring a smile to your face?

Was Christ different than other little children?
I don't doubt he WAS.
I don't doubt that Mary only needed to remind him a couple of times before he learned his lesson.
I don't doubt that he caught onto life's lessons YEARS before the other little children.
I'm not diminishing the greatness and sacredness of Mary's calling of raising the Son of God by comparing Him to other little ones. 
No.
I know that Christ was The Only Begotten Son, and that Mother Mary was beyond any other woman that was ever created to experience mortality.
Of that I am sure.

I just believe that if we as Mother's, and as parent's could see our little one's as Christ see's them,
as God the Father see's them, as Mother Mary saw the Savior, maybe we would raise them a little bit differently.
Maybe we would see them in a different, more sacred light.
Maybe we would treat them with a little bit more patience and respect.
Maybe A LOT more patience and respect.
Maybe our love would grow to be more unconditional.
Maybe our voices would be softer, and our tone more kind.
Maybe our kisses and "I love you"'s and our prayers of gratitude would increase.
Maybe we would even begin to feel unworthy of this sacred calling, should we see it for what it truly is.

We can't all start today.
We can't just turn around and be perfect parents now and forever.
Maybe we just don't have it in us to be like Mother Mary, and that's why she was chosen for our Savior.
However, we can pray to improve every day.
We can seek forgiveness for our failures and our shortcomings regularly.
Our perspectives can change.
And our homes can be filled with heaven's light!

Popular Posts