Good Parenting VS Easy Parenting



My daughter, like other children her age, has a hard time sharing.
When she was a bit younger, I remember she would steal other kids toys, leaving the other children in tears.
For about a year, I would sit her down, point out the fact that the other children were crying because she had stolen their toys.
I would ask her, "How does it make you feel when other kids steal your toys?"
Then I would follow up with the statement, "That's how they feel when YOU steal THEIR toys."
Then I would tell her to go give the toy back.
Once the other child was smiling and happy again, I would point out to my daughter the change in mood.
"Doesn't it feel good when we play nice and share?" I would ask.
She would nod, and things would be great...until she stole another kids toy again.
Then we would repeat the process all over.

Sometimes I get flack for my parenting.
"Just smack em on the behind. It's that simple."
Parenting, ESPECIALLY discipline, should NEVER be quick and easy.
Discipline isn't punishment.
Discipline = Teaching.
And teaching takes TIME and hard, hard work, and some more TIME.

Teaching little children requires the UTMOST patience.
Little children require reminders.
Sometimes we even have to teach the same exact lesson over and over again.
That's just what parenting is.

If a parent wants to instill fear in their child, and get them to mind FAST, then the quick easy method of spanking and yelling is a good way to go.
However, if a parent wishes to TEACH their children why we behave certain ways, and instill life long principals and life lessons that these little ones can carry with them into adulthood, then the quick easy route is not the best option.

I had no idea what I signed up for when I became a parent.
I knew that I wanted to be a different type of parent than most of the people that surrounded me.
So I learned how to be a TEACHER.
Not a punisher, or "owner".

I can't say that I'm perfect at it all of the time.
I never thought I would spank my child, but I'm ashamed to admit that I have lost my cool a time or two and paddled a certain little bum....
We can't all be A+ parents ALL of the time.
Pregnancy, sleep deprivation, hormonal imbalances, mental illnesses, bad days can all bring out the worst in us at times.
But we can control ourselves MOST days or at least MOST of the time.
And that's the best that we can do.

Easy parenting does not equal good parenting.
Easy parenting does not teach children life lessons.
Easy parenting does not teach children VALUABLE principals.
Good parenting requires more patience than easy parenting.
Good parenting is so exhausting that by the end of the day one might feel completely beat, but also feel satisfied and fulfilled.
Good parenting requires effort, prayer, and thinking ahead.
Good parenting is being a teacher.
Good parenting is preparing our little one's for LIFE.
Good parenting may not always be easy, but it is WORTH IT!


Popular Posts