Don't Say "Because I Said So"


One of the phrases that is banned from our home, is "Because I said so".
Can you imagine having anyone in your life telling you "because I said so" when you ask them a question?
Can you imagine how degrading, belittling, infuriating, frustrating, and unsatisfying that would be?
Especially when you can NEVER get a legitimate explanation, and all you ever hear from your number one source of trust is- "because I said so"????

In our home, we provide actual EXPLANATIONS.
However, there is a phrase that is very similar to "because I said so", but is actually an explanation and allows for our children to actually LEARN a valuable lesson.

For instance, If I have given my daughter an order and she simply isn't listening...
Then I have to send her to time out, and she still isn't listening...
When I say, "Go to time out right now"
And my daughter responds with, "why?"
I might use the phrase "because we listen to our mommy's and daddy's."
Then I will explain to her that I listen to my mommy, and daddy listens to his mommy, and one day she will have little babies that will listen to her.
Because that's just how things work.

There. I have taught my daughter that sometimes we do things that we don't want to do, because we listen to our parents.
And that's just how things work in this house.

Think about it.
When you say the words "because I said so", is there an explanation for why you are, "saying so"?
What is that reason?
Can you take an extra twenty or thirty seconds out of your day to explain that to your child?
I think the answer to that question is, yes.
I know that, because we do this all. day. long. at our house.

Yes, it requires more effort, time, and patience.
But I believe that if our children receive that kind of respect from us, then they will be equally as respectful in return.
At least that has been my experience.

Try it out.
Next time you are tempted to say "Because I said so, dang it!"
Stop what you are doing, take a deep breath, think about what you would like to TEACH your child, and then go ahead and EXPLAIN to them (quickly- don't ramble) why it is that they need to listen to what you are telling them.
As you are consistent with this, your children will catch on quicker than you would think!



Popular Posts