One of the BIGGEST Mistakes Parents Make


The other night I was getting my daughter out of the bath when she spit.
I have no idea why she spit, but part of her saliva landed on my leg.
I made a face like "what the heck?" and wiped it off of my leg without saying anything.
I figured she had a nasty soapy taste in her mouth and just wanted to spit it out.

Then she spit again, but she aimed for and successfully hit my face.
Oh. My. Gosh.
I resisted the first impulse that went through me- which was to straight up slap that kid across the face hard and good!
Instead I pointed the finger of scorn and said very, VERY sternly, "You NEVER spit in my face again."

She was VERY taken aback by my reaction.
She could not believe that she had done something so horrifying to warrant such an intense reaction from me.
I never react, or speak to her the way that I did then.
I could tell she was scared, and she immediately began sobbing.

That's when it dawned on me...
She didn't spit on my face to put me down, to belittle me, or disrespect me.
She had no idea that what she had done was one of the most disrespectful things that you could ever possibly do to another human.
In her little mind, she was just spitting...for what ever reason...but to her it was simple and it meant nothing.

One of the biggest mistakes that parents can make is having unreasonable expectations for our children.
Our children's minds are small, and ever developing.
It is our responsibility to teach them those important life lessons that will carry them throughout adulthood and the rest of their lives.
I taught my daughter, rather scornfully, that spitting in people's faces is not ok.
Boy am I glad I didn't slap the kid!

We can never assume that our children came out of the womb knowing everything that there is to know about life.
I can not assume that my daughter was born with the common sense not to spit in people's faces.
Or hit.
Or yell.
Or pinch.
Or lie.
Or say no.
etc. etc. etc.
I as her parent am out of place when I assume that she should know better and treat her with too much harshness.
Yes. I said it.
I am out of place. Not my child.

May we always remember that our children do not know better until we have taught them.
And sometimes we need to teach them over and over again in order for them to remember.

Popular Posts