Surviving Colic Part 1


This blog will be an ongoing series as I am sure that I will continue to learn more and more about this whole colic business and what works for my baby...

Malachi began crying whenever he was awake and for about 3 hours every night when he hit 2.5 weeks old.
He would usually cry until about 3 or 4 in the morning and it was pretty gosh dang awful.
One night I lost it and cried because I was just so dang exhausted.

So here's what I have learned about Malachi's colic...
He is just a grumpy old man in a tiny little body. Seriously.
He gets mad about everything.
If he is happy right where he is, with his exact surroundings, and everything exactly the way that it is- DO NOT CHANGE A DANG THING! Lest you pay the consequences.
If he is happy in his swing and you decide to pick him up- he screams
If he is happy with or without certain noises and that changes- he screams
If he is happy with a binky and it falls out of his mouth- he screams
Like, gosh dang! He's one picky and moody little human!

So a handful of things work to soothe him and it all just depends on his mood.
So sometimes one thing will work, and another wont.
So I just cycle through what I have tried until I find what he is in the mood for.
I know. It's awesome.

1. Holding him
He likes to be held 90% of the time. My lovely friend gave me her baby wrap and Malachi practically lives in that thing whenever he is awake.... 

2. Binky
Screw all of the pros and cons. If it keeps the kid from screaming then I'm gonna freaking do it. Sometimes he likes the binky, other times he doesn't. It's whatever. I also found that he likes a certain type of binky! So the one I was trying to force him to take at first just wasn't cutting it, so I tried a different one and he took it and liked it. And both mama and baby were happy. The end.

3. Holding him upright- especially after feedings
Malachi has reflux. Which I'm sure was contributing a degree to his moodiness. So I was instructed by my doctor to keep him upright for 20 minutes after he is fed. This helps him burp better because he wasn't a very good burper before. And it allows him to digest more of his milk to prevent as much spitting up as possible. It works pretty good. And he has been happier ever since I have started doing this.

4. Gas drops
Because Malachi seems to be a bit gassy, and hasn't been too great about burping after feedings, I have administered gas drops on a daily basis before feedings. I would have to say that his mood has definitely improved since starting the drops. However, he still gets some gas build up and gets fussy sometimes.

5. Deep breathing
Deep breathing exercises are something I have worked to implicate in my daily life for quite some time now since I have anxiety. So it has become an automatic reaction to that tight stomach, tense body feeling that I start to get whenever my anxiety is working up. So when he has been screaming for a bit, and I'm starting to feel my body begin to tense and my heart rate starts going up- I just start breathing deeply in and out. The calming effect of deep breathing works immediately.

6. The vacuum
Malachi likes the vacuum. I discovered this just the other day. If you don't have a vacuum cleaner, then look up some videos on youtube. I have a 3 hour vacuum cleaner video playing right now as I am typing this post and he is only slightly moody and fussy.

And finally...

7. Gratitude
Malachi almost didn't make it at birth.
I thought I had delivered a stillborn for a hot second there.
And it was beyond nerve wracking...
Even when he coughed that first time and started crying, I was still in a numb state.
It took a while for me to accept the fact that everything was going to be ok!
Knowing how fragile life is, and how much more vulnerable I am as a mother to my little ones (if anything were to happen to them I would simply die) and seeing my son that close to heaven's gates- I am immensely grateful for whatever amount of time God grants me with these children of mine.
That's what I try to think about when I start to have a really rough moment and I'm beginning to feel resentful towards motherhood... I just remember that I am lucky to have him.
And I feel instantly better.
I would rather having a screaming baby, than no baby.


So this is part 1 of surviving colic!
Next time I will have an update on how things are evolving and what new tricks I am learning!
And if you are also dealing with colic... I feel for you sister!
You are not alone!

Popular Posts