How To Not Let Depression Run Your Life

Listen to the Podcast here!
Prefer to listen on iTunes? Great! Click here!

I have had depression for as long as I can remember.
I have mentioned my most common symptoms on previous posts...

Since moving to a new town, and starting a new life with my little family- my depression got significantly worse and then... significantly BETTER!
I spent the last couple of years in a deep self reflection period.
I really focused on my emotional health and began healing myself from a life long ailment.

Will I ever reach complete healing in this life? I am not sure.
But judging by the direction that I am moving on this current path of emotional wellness, I think that I am capable of reaching a very healthy place.
In fact, I believe that I already have.

Not everyone will be able to relate to this post.
Not everyone will be in the same boat, or even have the same type or severity of depression as me.
But here's what has worked for me...

1. I started with my number 1 "trigger"
My marriage a couple of years ago was not at it's happiest.
There was SO MUCH stress and chaos and instability in our lives as we were trying to transition into a new town with no friends or family.
We were suffering one major blow after another. Financial blows, housing blows, you name it.
We were handling it the best that we could, however we had a tendency to take out our stress on each other.
I decided that since my marriage was my number 1 trigger for my episodes, I would focus on that first.

I basically used the method "fake it till you make it" and it worked.
I put on a happy face whenever my husband came home from work.
I cooked delicious homemade meals and had them ready for him upon walking through the door.
I planned special family outings.
I put on a happy face during said outings and bit my tongue whenever I had the urge to say something spiteful.
etc. etc. etc.
Things began turning around VERY fast for us.

My marriage was no longer my number 1 trigger.

2. Move on to the next number 1 trigger...
My daughter.
My lovely little one was transitioning into toddlerhood and things got...awful.
I was completely clueless and lost on how to handle her.
I bought books.
Lots of books.
And I educated myself on how to raise toddlers.
Boom. Problem solved.

3. On to the next trigger

4. Then the next

5. And the next.

The key here is to take it one trigger at a time.
Whatever is WITHIN YOUR CONTROL.
If there is a major trigger that is out of your control and distancing yourself is not a realistic option, then healthy distractions are a good way to go.

At this point in my depression journey, I am focusing on fostering an attitude of gratitude and optimism!
I have "gratitude" and "optimism" written on my bathroom mirror to remind me daily.
I practice by offering prayers of gratitude every night.
I practice by using more optimistic language.
I practice by finding something to be grateful about in every stressful or sad situation.

Just like pessimism and sadness, gratitude and optimism are just as addictive behaviors.
Once you start thinking of things to be grateful for, it's hard to stop!
Once you start speaking and thinking more optimistically, it becomes more and more of a habit that requires less and less work!

Remember that practice, practice, and more practice makes perfect!
I wish you the best of luck on your own journey toward emotional wellness!


Popular Posts