Stay-at-Home Momhood and The Depression Monster


I had a request from a subscriber to write about depression and Stay-at-Home Momhood.
If any of my readers have a subject that they would like me to write about, please let me know!!!
I would love to write specifically to any and every one of you! :)
Let's get down to the nitty gritty, shall we?

Depression and Momhood.

I have mentioned before on my blog that I have struggled with anxiety and depression my whole entire life.
The Depression Monster likes to manifest itself in different ways.
It may look different for you than it does for me.
For me (and especially as a stay-at-home mom) it means:

A HUGE lack of motivation
Feelings of worthlessness and insecurity
Not feeling of value or that my efforts are contributing to the universe and that I need to be doing more or doing different things (like earning money)
Sometimes feeling blue and/or weepy
Often times snappy and moody
Loneliness
EXTREME fatigue

These daily battles are difficult to face with a three year old who is in constant demand of my care and attention.
We mama's need to take care of ourselves in order to be able to take care of our little ones!

If you are like me, and have yet to turn to medication for help, then you may consider some of the following tips for dealing with the depression monster:

Eliminate as much "noise" as possible- quiet your home by turning off the tv, turning the radio off or to a station that lifts your spirits, limit your time spent on social media (the depression monster LOVES a false sense of reality and comparisons!), be aware of what media you are allowing your spirit to be exposed to- maybe try only watching things that you would watch with a toddler for a while and see what that does to your spirit, be aware of your reading materials- do they provide another false sense of reality comparable to social media? Maybe lay off the sappy romances for a bit and see if you feel better! Instead pick up some "self-help" or educational books.

Watch your diet! Speak with a health care professional, or read up on good nutrition. There are certain foods and chemicals in foods that may be affecting your mood.
Try to adapt a diet that includes more fresh foods that will help keep your energy up!

Exercise every single day for 20 minutes.
I am currently pregnant and count my house work as exercise- as it gets my heartrate up and I sweat!
Get your heartrate up, and sweat for a good 20 minutes each day.
Get those toxins out of your system and generate some endorphins!

Speaking of toxins...not to get all "hippy" on you, but you may consider drinking more water. A lot more water.

Discover hobbies that bring you joy- sewing, knitting, photography, painting, interior design, reading, walking, dancing, etc. 
Make time to indulge yourself in these hobbies as frequently as is realistic for your schedule!
You gotta do some stuff for yourself, or the depression monster will really get ya!

You absolutely need to get the recommended amount of sleep! 7-9 hours each night.
Everybody's body is different. Some people feel very well rested after 7 hours, and others like myself require the full 9 hours!
Practice some self discipline (if that's all that is necessary) and go to bed earlier each night.

Feed your spirit.
If you are a believer in God, then practice prayer and scripture study on a daily basis.
If you lean more on the agnostic side, maybe try to adapt meditation practices and being alone in the great outdoors and draw spiritual strength from nature and the universe.
Start your day with positive affirmations. (There are some great guided positive affirmations available on youtube)

Foster an attitude of gratitude.
Keep a gratitude journal.
Or make it a point to say "thank you" so many times a day to either yourself, God, your children, your spouse, or those individuals that you may come in contact with throughout the day.

Seek opportunities to serve others.
One of the best things that I have done for my own depression has been to focus on the needs of others.
If you get involved in a service project, it's hard to think about yourself and your own problems.
It's a good, healthy, and proactive distraction.

Work on making your thoughts more positive.
Your negative feelings may be generated by some negative thoughts.
Thoughts like "I have so much to do around the house today..." could be transitioned into "I am so grateful to have a house!"
or "My children and husband don't appreciate me..." to "I am so lucky to have a partner through all of this. And my children! Who would I be without them!?"
Try to train your brain to think on the positive side...

My last suggestion would be to seek therapy.
And don't be embarrassed about it either.
I have received therapy many times and I absolutely LOVED it!
Therapy is the bomb and I encourage everyone to give it a try.
By "give it a try" I mean, give it like a year.

And get ready to give it a loooottttt of time!!!!
Depression may not be cured without medication and/or therapy.
And maybe these tips will only take the edge off.
Or maybe if you are lucky and your depression is only "situational" and not a life long illness- these tips will help you feel 100% better!

I wish you the best of luck on your battle with the depression monster.
My battle has been life long and it is a daily focus of mine.
Even so, it has not been so unmanageable that I have needed medication...yet.
I have been able to manage my monster with the tips that I listed above and have been in a fairly healthy place emotionally for several years now.

If I can do it, so can you!
You got this, Mama!!!!

Popular Posts