Simplify and Be Firm

Listen to the episode here

I have decided to share a positive parenting tip every week, and this week's tip is:

Simplify and Be Firm!

Simplify your family rules.
When I first began "disciplining" my daughter, I felt like I was just constantly saying "no!"
It was extremely frustrating for the both of us because there was no consistency, or predictability.
It always depended on my mood and what I was willing to deal with at that moment.

If you find yourself in that same boat, ask yourself this:
"What am I absolutely not willing to bend on ever?"
Make those few things your family rules.
Your children need consistency, dependability, and predictability.
Make your five family rules (for your very young children) consistent ALWAYS.

And be very very firm on those rules.
Never ever bend.
Never allow your child to believe that you might change your mind on these rules depending on your mood.
If you rule is "we don't hit".
Then don't allow hitting "sometimes" or when you are just too tired to discipline.
Always be consistent with HOW you discipline when these particular rules are broken.

Simplify and be firm.
Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Popular Posts