Sometimes Words Are Not Necessary...

Sharing an old photo today because it's been a while since I have updated my "lifestyle photos".... deal with it :)

I had just finished a discouraging conversation with my husband. I was on the verge of tears and in a very emotionally fragile state when I put my daughter in the bath.
I told her that I would be right around the corner if she needed anything and to please keep the water inside of the bath.

I was only switching the laundry when I heard the sound of spilling water.
Staying where I was, I asked her if she was keeping the water in the bath and she replied yes.
I finished switching the laundry and went three steps back to the bathroom doorway where I caught her dumping water over the side of the bath onto the floor for what looked like the umpteenth time.

I knew that she had lied to me. Which, does not happen very often at all believe it or not!
I knew now that she had been dumping the water out all along!
It took all that I had to swallow back tears and control the anger that was literally boiling at the surface.
I sat at the doorway of the bathroom and I huffed and I puffed and literally covered my mouth with my hand to keep from screaming.
I really was in a very emotional state already. 
I didn't want to say or do anything that I would later regret.

Searching my brain for what to do next, I resolved to simply take away any toy that could potentially hold and spill water in or outside of the bath. And then I turned around and left the room.
I did not say a word. All I did was take action. And I was INTENTIONAL in my actions.
She protested and cried for about a second. Then she was fine.
She found other toys to entertain herself with.

No yelling took place.
No scolding.
No fighting.
By the look on her face and her reaction to me catching her in the act, I knew that she was well aware of what she had done wrong.
Nothing more needed to be said.
I sat around the corner to gather my emotions before going back into the bathroom with her, and cleaning up the mess.

Sometimes this is what needs to be done.
Sometimes words are not necessary.
Only simple, direct, and INTENTIONAL actions that get the point across, and then a breather (for mom).

It's hard as a parent, especially when you are in such an emotional state, to curb your emotions and to not spit out threats and punishments or consequences for actions.
Typically when my daughter splashes water outside of the bath, I will tell her "If you do that one more time, we are getting out of the bath." And it usually only takes one time for her to learn that I mean what I say.
This time was different.

I think in some cases, no matter how frequent or rare they may be, we can discipline without saying a single word.

Popular Posts