Tips For Being Emotionally Present


I have a very unquiet mind...
It's part of my anxiety. My mind is always running a million miles an hour.
It's awesome.
One of the many downsides to an unquiet mind is the fact that you frequently miss what's going on around you.

My daughter frequently...very frequently...so frequently that it's embarrassing...has to yell or smack me to get my attention.
It is really just awful. Please don't hate on me. I beat myself up enough over this already.

So I was praying about this because it really is a huge fault of mine and I hate it and I know that my daughter hates it too.
I received inspiration to "quiet my mind" and "slow my pace".
In other words...live in the present. 
The RIGHT THIS SECOND present.
In other words...BE HERE in the NOW and stop myself from thinking and moving at such a fast pace!

Not only do I have an unquiet mind, but I move too quickly.
I start a project like writing a blog post, or reading a chapter in a book, or cleaning the kitchen and I HATE stopping before it's done. 
It's stupid. I know.
But I seriously just gotta learn to take a two second break and attend to my kid when she is demanding my attention.
I know my kid can wait until I am done with whatever I am doing before I get her a darn bag of popcorn. I know.
But I hate that she begs and begs before I actually comply because of my determination to finish what I have started!

******

Hey what do you know! My daughter just yelled up the stairs for me to bring her a toy, and get this- I paused writing this post to take her the toy!
Yay for me.
Can I get a round of applause please. Thank you.

******

So those are my tips to you for being more emotionally present for your children, or anyone for that matter.
Quiet your mind and slow your pace!
Be ok with pausing a project to get your kid some snacks or a toy or whatever!
Conquer the mind, and learn to think and be in the NOW. (Pretty sure this one is going to take me an eternity, but I'm working on it!)

You've got this, mama!

Popular Posts