What Is Intentional Living?


What is Intentional Living?

I have realized that as I get older, and the more that my family has grown, the more that I ask myself what is worth doing in my life.
I have had to make decisions to eliminate those people and activities that I have determined are not "adding" to my joy and fulfillment.

I recently unfollowed every single person on Instagram.
Not because I don't like those individuals or what they are posting.
I have some really, really good friends in that space!
But because spending the time playing catch up on Instagram was taking away from my kids and family- and THAT is where my true joy and fulfillment are!
So if I unfollowed you, don't take it personally.
This is just my way of forcing myself to stay away from my phone more.

So here is a simple way of defining Intentional Living:
What is your "WHY"?

Maybe you have friends that you feel obligated to "keep up with", whether that be frequent phone calls, or frequent lunch dates.
Why?
Are these people that you NEED?
Why do you do what you do with them and for them?
etc.

I don't have many "friends", and the friends that I do have I see very infrequently.
Why?
Because my husband is working full time, very busy with school, and I have an infant.
Most of my friends have young kids as well, and their own busy lives.
So we get together every once in a while to work out, or have play dates with the kids when our schedules line up.
Why?
Because having mommy friends is good for my soul, and just as good for my daughter.

Maybe you have Facebook or Instagram.
Why?
Are you in it just to keep up with your friends and family that live far away from you?
Are you following accounts that make you feel envious of their lives/lifestyles?
Are you ever attempting to change yourself, your environment, your house, or photos and posts just to look like the ones you see on Instagram?
Why?
Are these accounts and posts adding to, or taking away from your joy and fulfillment?

How about your day to day activities?
Why do you do what you do?
Is it contributing to your over-all emotional and physical well being and health?
Are there certain habits that are possibly toxic or destructive?
Maybe you can evaluate your lifestyle for the next week, asking yourself "Why" and make changes accordingly.

I literally have a daily schedule.
It fluctuates based on what's going on with my kids (naps, dr visits, sick or needy/upset) etc.
But I try to keep to my daily schedule as much as possible.
Why?
Because it keeps me productive- which makes me feel good.
It keeps me sane- which makes me a better mom and wife.
etc.

So what is your "Why"?

Why that book? Why that movie? Why that play date? Why that lunch date? Why that date date? Why the make up? Why those clothes? Why that hairstyle? Why those words? Why that phrase? Why that text? Why that phone call? Why that job? Why that activity? Why NOT that other activity?

How much of your life is actually for YOU?
How much of your lifestyle is actually edifying those individuals who matter MOST?

How can you adjust your lifestyle to live more intentionally and therefore experience more joy and fulfillment in your day to day life?

Popular Posts