Surviving Colic Part 2


So I have learned a few more things that have helped with Malachi's constant bad mood.
He is still a bit moody and pretty high maintenance.
He still gets fussy and cries a lot, and he doesn't want anyone but me, and I am not allowed to put him down if he is awake!
He only lets me put him down for short amounts of time- which I use to fix myself a quick meal, use the bathroom, or shower.
But if I am good about holding him constantly, and these other tricks that I have learned- he can even be a very happy and pleasant baby!
See my last surviving colic post here.

1. Warm baths
Malachi LOOOOVVVEEESSS warm baths. So we do a warm bath just about every night with his sister and he just sits there, content as can be!

2. Frequent feedings, and bottles.
I have learned that Malachi is not getting enough nutrients from my breastmilk. Talk about a blow to my mommy heart! So I have had to compensate with formula. I still breastfeed him every 3-4 hours. And then I give him a 4 ounce bottle afterwards. He still pukes up half of what he eats, but he has definitely put on more pounds since starting the formula! And he is VERY happy when he has a nice, full tummy!

3. Keeping him upright. Always.
The only time I lay Malachi flat is when I am changing his diaper. I made the mistake of trying to sleep him in his bassinet a week ago or so and I paid the price big time. After about an hour of laying down flat, he began screaming his head off and didn't stop for 3 or 4 hours! His reflux makes laying down flat very uncomfortable for him I have realized. So he is never, ever, ever flat. Always propped up on his boppy pillow, or in a swing. This helps him not having screaming fits that last hours at a time.

4. Motion
Malachi likes motion.
So when he is in a crying fit, and he isn't calming down after about 20 or 30 minutes, I will usually put him in his carseat and take him for a ride.
He is really, really good about falling asleep in the car.
So if all else fails, and he isn't responding to any of my other tricks, I will just take him for a little ride and he will calm down after a few minutes!

After adding these tricks to my previous list of tricks, Malachi has successfully improved by a solid 50% or more.
He almost never has a crying fit that lasts longer than an hour or so.
And he has even started to smile and coo!
So if I am good about nipping his fussiness in the bud and catching it quick- then our life is fairly pleasant!

Popular Posts